Friday, May 13, 2016

You can help kids like me!

Charlotte Rayfield with her mother, father, and brother.
“Abilities United put me on track to know that I could follow my dreams. Please make sure other kids and their families have that opportunity too!”
- Charlotte Rayfield

When you have a kid it’s hard, but when you have a kid with a disability...
wow, that’s crazy. I was about two years old when my mom and I joined an Early Intervention class at Abilities United. The moms shared their experiences and fears for our future. It prepared them for a future with us. The class was great for us, too, as we played with other kids and learned a lot.

Abilities United was my first playground, my first classroom.

I have Cerebral Palsy, a physical disorder caused by a stroke I had before I was born. Since it happened on the left side of my brain, it means my right side is weaker. I use an assortment of mechanical and power wheelchairs to get around in my daily life. I can’t walk, but I can still do pretty cool stuff. Without my disability, I wouldn’t be a part of the ski program that allows me to ski at insanely high speeds while remaining seated.

Now, I am a senior in high school. I plan to study at Foothill College for a few years while I figure out how to live on a college campus. It’s scary yes, but I can figure it out.

I love reading and want a job working with books - a writer, a publisher. I also think it would be great to be a history professor as it’s my favorite subject in school. I love horses and have a passion for carriage driving, so I hope to incorporate that into my future.

Without Abilities United - I wouldn’t be on the track I am on today.

I wouldn’t be the person I am today.

Other kids deserve that chance too.

Thank you for helping kids like me by making a gift today!

Charlotte Rayfield
graduate of Abilities United Early Intervention program

No comments:

Post a Comment