Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Champ Pederson: I've grown and learned how to be an adult with a disability

Champ Pederson lives independently in Palo Alto and
utilizes Abilities United Independent Living Skills.

My name is Champ Pederson and I am a 25-year-old man with Down Syndrome.  

I was living independently in Palo Alto in 2010, and I had my own place. I was using services from another agency, but I wanted something better. 

I wanted to major in communications. I wanted to have a career in public speaking. I want to be an advocate for people with Down syndrome.

After I graduated from Taft College in 2010, I came to Abilities United. At Abilities United I learned how to be a professional, and how to be an adult with a disability. I have learned new things like grocery shopping, meal prep, keeping a budget, and time management. 

Abilities United helps me out no matter what I do in life. I have Down Syndrome and its going to be with me all my life. I used to be frustrated. I lashed out at people and I told people off. I got very mad. I cursed. I cried. Now, I can control my anger by walking it off, going to my room, and finding fun things to do. Abilities United has done a lot for me, and it’s hard to explain how much it means to me. I am happy. This is MY story to tell, and it’s such a beautiful thing that it makes me want to cry. 

My family supports me in what I do. My family has seen me grow up and be a good son to my mother. My Mom is my strongest advocate. She helps me whenever I need her. I have faith and hope in my brothers.  I am a sensitive, emotional, fun loving, cheerful man. I know I have problems. We all have problems, but there are people here at Abilities United to help me. 

I believe in the quote on the Abilities United web site: “If you want to be happy for an hour, take a nap. If you want to be happy for a day, go fishing. If you want to be happy for a month, go on a honeymoon. If you want to be happy for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, help children with disabilities.” 

Written by Champ Pederson. Edited by Bob Thomas and Champ Pederson.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your life journey, Champ! I enjoyed reading of your experiences, your thoughts, your attitude. I especially enjoyed hearing how your a 'good son to (your) mother.' I think you're a good son, a good brother, a good friend and a good citizen in our world!

    ReplyDelete