Thursday, May 23, 2013

Joseph Omolayole: here and doing well!


Joseph Omolayole, artist and participant of Abilities United
showed his art and was a guest speaker at the
50th Anniversary Recognition party on April 25, 2013.
When I was a few months old, I was in a serious car accident. My injuries left me with short-term memory problems. My mother thought I would not make it, but I’m here now and doing well.

That is what led me to the Golden Gate Regional Center and then Abilities United where I met Christen, the best I.L.S instructor I have ever met!  Christen introduced me to biking. And now I love biking! Biking has helped me improve my ability to focus and improved my balance. It also taught me patience; to be aware of what is ahead of me, to be cautious, but act in a way to be most successful.

I also love to make art. It is wonderful when my pieces are sold to art appreciators. My art sales help me buy more art supplies so I can keep improving my skills.

Recently, I got a visual styling job in a retail store with the help of the Abilities United job counselor, Jackie. I get to do what I love in this job…working with fashion and style.Fashion is my passion!
My goals are to have my own fashion design studio. I have developed a women’s clothing line and soon I’ll have a show of my collection.

I thank everyone who has taken me to places that I wouldn’t have known with out you. I would have been lost without these tools you have taught me.  I dearly thank Golden Gate Regional, Abilities United, my dear mom for her support and the blessings my God has given me.

Thank You :)

Joseph Omolayole wrote this speech (edited by Wendy Kuehnl) and delivered it at the Abilities United 50th Anniversary Recognition event on April 25, 2013.  He was quoted in the Palo Alto Weekly story "Abilities United rocks out at 50th anniversary"

No comments:

Post a Comment